Oh summer, you’re my favorite. I hate the heat, and I mean HATE. But all the amazing local produce makes up for it in spades. We are starting to get our first tastes of local blueberries here in the Berkshires and we just can’t get enough. We are eating them by the handfuls, pouring them into cereal in the mornings and mixing them into pancakes. But I’m also saving them for one of my favorite things ever. BLUEBERRY CRISP! The tart sweetness and the crispy crust is to die for and a lovely way to end a warm, sun soaked weekend.
I fully recommend eating this while gathered around a bonfire, on a porch swing with friends or the way I like to eat it…alone after the kids are in bed ;p
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cups rolled oats
- ¾ cups packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon or apple pie spice (my favorite if you can find it)
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg (omit if youre using apple pie spice)
- ½ cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a large bowl, gently toss together the blueberries and white sugar; set aside. In a separate large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Pour the blueberries into an 8x8 pan or a large pie plate. Sprinkle crumble mixture over the berries. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until fruit is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Serve with vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream!